No one likes seeing mould, but it’s way worse for you than you think – here’s what happens and what you can do about it.
With the wet and cold weather sticking around, damp and mould might be on the rise in your home – but there are ways to prevent and tackle it.
Rather than cleaning it off and leaving it, it’s better to find the cause and tackle it at its heart so the problem doesn’t come back.
If left, damp and mould can affect your health – especially if you’re elderly or have a condition like asthma.
There are ways to find the cause of damp, clean up the mould and minimise the chance of it returning leaving you with a healthier home.
Here’s what you need to do.
What is mould?
Mould is a fungus that breaks down dead material. It loves living in our homes, as they offer the perfect conditions for it to grow – a warm atmosphere, moisture and food in the form of paper, wood, carpet, dust and dirt. Unless it’s dealt with and removed, it will continue to grow. But dead spores are just as harmful as live ones, so you should be careful when getting rid of it.
Can damp and mould affect my health?
If you have damp and mould you’re more likely to have or develop respiratory problems, respiratory infections, allergies or asthma. Damp and mould can also affect the immune system, according to NHS Choices.
Who is affected and at risk?
These people should stay away from the mould, though some people are more sensitive than others, including:
- babies and children
- elderly people
- those with existing skin problems, such as eczema
- those with respiratory problems, such as allergies and asthma
- those with a weakened immune system
How does it affect your health?
Mould can be harmful to your home and your health (Image: Getty) read more…