EXTERIOR COLOUR TRENDS
Exterior Paint Colours and Selections.
Choosing an exterior paint colour is a decision that adds beauty and curb appeal to your home. It’s also one you’ll live with for 7 to 10 years, so you’ll want to make sure you are comfortable with your pick before and after the paint dries!
What You Can Expect From Us
We can help you select your exterior paint colour or solid stain. At your request, we will endeavour to provide you with fashionable and architectural-based colour palette materials (colour swatches) from top paint manufacturers such as Dulux®, Sikkens®, Farrow &Ball® & Earthborn, and other top brands.
We can also help to select samples and test them. Some paint cards/swatches are manufactured with ink & not paint; the actual colour may differ significantly on the vast interior or exterior surfaces. We recommend brushing a test spot of at least one square foot on the exterior of your home for an accurate analysis.
Always Consider the Light
The appearance of a colour’s hue or vibrancy may alter at higher and lower light levels. Be sure to view your test spot both day and night and in different types of daylight—sunny, cloudy, and so on. To help you narrow your selection, consider the direction your house faces N.S.E.W. If your home faces North, the colour will look cooler, while a Southern exposure warms the tone because of the higher amount of UV light. Another consideration is how quickly the paint may fade due to your home’s sun exposure. While our painting techniques give you the longest-lasting colour possible, some colours fade more rapidly than others. To lessen the effects of fading too quickly, choose earth-tone colours such as browns or tans.
Paint Colours That Fade More Quickly Include:
Initial Steps to Exterior Paint Selection
It’s important first to evaluate the things you can’t change, so you can pick a paint colour that works harmoniously with them. Potential restrictions include:
- Regulations, such as a requirement for prior approval
- The unpainted material of your home’s exterior, such as brick and stone
- How your garden landscape complements the exterior surfaces of your home
Tried and Tested Advice on Exterior Painting
Even though we are painters, we won’t pick your colours for you, and we will share some time-tested exterior paint principles to help with the decision-making process, such as:
- Lighter colours make a home seem larger.
- The front door is the hood ornament of a house and deserves special consideration!
- Pick a prominent accent colour to highlight a unique and beautiful design element.
- Dark cherry reds and bright yellows tend to fade quickly. It is good practice to reserve these colours as an accent or interior paint.
When Selling Your Home?
When it comes to selling your home, think about painting from the top down. One of the first items a potential home buyer will look at will be the roof. Make sure whichever colour you choose coordinates with the roof. Solid first impressions can create an interested buyer.
Some Popular Exterior Home Colours Include the Following.
- WHITE: Makes your home look larger and has a clean, classic look.
- BEIGE: Sound boring? Your trim colour selection can make a beige house sing.
- BLUE: If you go too dark, it can scare buyers, while lighter shades appear sophisticated.
You can find the latest trends and tips in paint colour on our website, covering popular trends in exterior paint colours and interiors. Check it out!