Decorating Safely & Old Lead Paint in Your Home?
This is a very common risk for both painters and decorators of all types. Painting both the inside and outside of all buildings
Some paints need to be mixed with solvents, most of which can be hazardous if they’re inhaled or come into contact with the eyes or skin—prolonged exposure can result in dizziness, headaches, respiratory problems, and even nervous system issues. Wearing protective gear (workwear) is always recommended esp: while mixing paints, as well as when using any type of spray painting directed from a machine or aerosol can, or painting in any small area that lacks adequate ventilation always keep windows open. Using water-based paints can also reduce the risk of inhaling hazardous substances.
Many sharp tools are used in painting and decorating, from scrapers to pen knives, snap off blades to saws. It’s easy to underestimate the amount of risk inherent in using some of these tools, including nasty cuts to causing bacterial infections such as “Sepis” WHICH CAN IF NOT CAUGHT IN TIME BE FATAL, and even a relatively dull scraper can cause a serious injury if it’s used incorrectly or in dangerous conditions.
Painting and decorating use materials that can be highly flammable, and if not used correctly could contribute to the risk of fire at the work site, whether at work or in the home. Paint solvents, adhesive fumes, and electrical wires combine to make a high-risk situation that can be set off by a stray spark or two. Extra caution is imperative, especially in poorly ventilated spaces where fumes can’t escape, always keep areas ventilated.
- Lead pigments were widely used in paints
for homes, schools and offices until the
- Lead pigments were not removed from
commonly used paints until the early
- Lead paint can be found under existing
paintwork in older buildings.